The Spirit Airlines check in policy comprises several rules for domestic and international flyers. Going through the policy is important to understand the possible restrictions too. When travelling individually or with pets/infants/unaccompanied minors, the terms and limitations can vary. These variations can further occur due to the check-in window, offline or online/web-based procedure, etc.
What are the Rules for Check-in on Spirit Airlines?
As an important rule, one can check in on Spirit Airlines when a reservation has been confirmed. The payment for the reservation has to be completed. Additionally, the ticket should be within the validity period.
The other guidelines/terms to execute this process to mark a flyer’s arrival are given below:
- Certain rules remain commonly applicable to domestic and international flyers.
- In order to check in, valid documents are necessary.
- Those flying with pets on Spirit Airlines can check in at the airport counter.
- Also, when carrying pets, the process has to be performed a few hours before take-off.
- Flyers with infants on their laps will require an agent to complete Spirit Airlines Check in.
- They are required to carry an email, digital, or printed boarding pass.
- To qualify for this process, the boarding pass should essentially comprise the:
- Flyer’s name
- Flight details
- The complete barcode
Tip: If a boarding pass is missing essential details, connect with Spirit’s Guest Service Agents.
Limitations Observed While Checking in on Spirit
Owing to several terms, checking in on airlines like Spirit can invite certain limitations. Particularly when flyers are travelling with children and pets, these limitations can arise. Given that the terms related to the process are not followed, additional restrictions can affect one’s planned trip.
- One may not complete the process when not adhering to Spirit Airlines baggage terms.
- Self-service or curbside Spirit Airlines flight check-in is limited when flying with pets.
- A flyer may have difficulties checking in when travelling with an infant less than 7 years old.
- Failing to mark one’s arrival can result in no-show cancellations on Spirit.
What are the Spirit Airlines Web Check in Rules?
Web check-in on Spirit requires fliers to keep in mind specific rules, particularly when they want to reserve add-ons while performing it. Also known as online check-in, the terms for this process vary as per the destination.
For domestic travel, the following rules apply to mark one’s confirmation for a flight:
- Extra baggage can be purchased during the process when administered in advance.
- As per availability, fliers can also opt for seat selection on Spirit while checking in online.
- This process enables the inclusion of Shortcut Security.
- A passport is not mandatory but can be added when performing this process.
Note: Bag Drop service is provided during web check-in when baggage under 40 lbs is bought in advance.
Online Check in Rules for International Flights
For the international passengers of Spirit Airlines to check in online, common rules apply. Along with these, they are required to provide their passport information to be eligible for online check-in and the associated benefits.
Limitations for Online Check in on Spirit Airlines
In certain instances, passengers have to contact Guest Service Agents of Spirit when they do not qualify for web check-in. Alongside contacting the agents, they can opt for the airport-based procedure, especially in the following instances:
- When flying with pets
- For groups comprising 10 passengers or more
- In case flying with lap infants
- For bookings involving Spirit Airlines unaccompanied minors
- If using a military ID and not a passport
- When flying from/to specific destinations located internationally
- In the case of having a special item allowance/additional seat
- For citizens based out of the US, when departing internationally
How Much is the Fee for Check-in on Spirit Airlines?
Spirit Airlines Check in fees are applicable, depending on some factors. These include the mode of completing the process, travel destination, the inclusion of extra services, etc.
Check-in Fees Charged At the Airport
The US-based low-cost carrier can ask for check-in charges at the airport in sync with the following:
- When online eligibility is not given, no fee is charged for checking in with Spirit at the airport.
- At the check-in counter, the carrier charges $25, particularly to print a boarding pass.
- A price is to be paid when an agent prints this pass at a domestic airport.
- It is free to print the pass when travelling domestically via West Palm Beach, Florida.
- When buying seats during this process, the fee is $1-$900, depending on the type.
- The airline may allow late check-in, provided that penalties or interim charges are paid.
Cost for Online Check-in
It is to be noted that checking in with this carrier online requires no fee. However, Spirit Airlines web check-in charges have to be paid for the additional services purchased during the process. Usually, the cost for these services is low when using the carrier’s official website/application to reserve them.
How Do I Check in Online for Spirit Airlines?
Spirit Airlines allows travellers to check in online using its official website as well as the mobile application. Certain pieces of information are essentially needed, in either case, to complete the web-based procedure. These modes and requirements apply mainly to direct bookings with this carrier.
Method 1: Using Spirit Airlines Website
One can go to the official site of the US-based air operator to mark one’s arrival for a flight. Whether international or domestic, the traveller can use the website for Spirit Airlines Check in online.
- Open the “Homepage” on Spirit’s website and press “Check in”.
- Fill in the “Passenger Last Name”.
- Next, add the 6-character “Confirmation Code”.
- Then hit the “Check-in” button.
- Click on “Add Bags” or other options to include extra services in the reservation.
Note: For direct bookings, Spirit sends reminder check-in emails with the “Confirmation Code” mentioned.
Method 2: With the “Spirit Airlines” Mobile Application
“Spirit Airlines” is the official application of this low-cost US airline. It sends a timely notification for check-in. When the window for the process is open, the app can be accessed to mark the confirmation for a flight in no time. The application works on both Android and iOS smartphones/devices.
- On the official mobile application “Spirit Airlines”, open “My Trips”.
- Then view the scheduled flight.
- Under the details of the trip, press “Check in for Your Flight”.
- Add the information required as follows:
- “Flight Information”
- Perform the appearing prompts to complete the Spirit Airlines Check in process.
Note: For third-party bookings, connect with the travel agent for online check-in.
How to Check in on Spirit Airlines Offline?
Passengers can find the Spirit Airlines Office at the departure airport counter for offline check-in. They simply need to provide the documents asked for and complete the procedure. For self-check-in, kiosks are featured. They can provide their trip details, full name, etc., to mark their presence for flights themselves.
How to Get Spirit Airlines Boarding Pass during Check-in?
As one checks in on Spirit Airlines, one can receive the boarding pass. The mode of completing this procedure determines how one can obtain this document. For this purpose, both online and offline procedures are suitable. Accordingly, one can receive a digital or printed boarding pass.
- The app “Spirit Airlines” can be used to receive the electronic boarding pass.
- In the case of web check-in, choose the “Email Boarding Pass” option to receive the pass.
- When performing this process at the airport, the document can be printed at the:
- Check-in counter
- Self-service kiosk
Note: Electronic boarding passes may not display the barcode when using the Outlook/Gmail app.
Which Documents Do I Need for Spirit Airlines Flight Check-in?
Whether flying domestically or internationally, a passenger needs some documents to check in on Spirit. They vary as per a traveller’s age and destination.
- Legal documents for identity verification are asked for.
- When travelling to the US, the following documents are needed for Spirit Airlines Check in:
- Valid documents that permit flying to the United States
- Papers that approve pet travel when flying with a service animal/companion
- In case carrying lap infants/kids under 2 years, legal age proof such as the following are needed:
- Birth certificate
Additional documents can be required for children flying internationally, irrespective of their age. These documents are as per the foreign government of the country being visited.
How Early Can You Check in on Spirit Airlines?
In general, one can check in on Spirit for a domestic trip as early as 2 hours before a plane is to depart, as per the schedule. When flying internationally, the recommended time is 3 hours before take-off. However, as per the mode of check-in, the inclusion of extra services, location, etc., the timing can vary.
For TSA screening along with Bag Drop and baggage check-in, the timing is:
|For U.S.V.I./International Flights
|60 minutes before take-off
|45 minutes prior to departing
Note: More than 4 hours prior to take-off, baggage can’t be checked in at an airport counter.
Spirit Airlines Online Check-in Window
Online check-in starts 24 hours before a Spirit flight’s departure. Up to 1 hour before the departure, a flier can perform this procedure using the website/app of the carrier.
Check-in Timing at Airports
In general, at an airport’s ticket counter, the Spirit Air check-in process has to be finished 2 hours prior to the scheduled take-off. However, fliers can fly via several airports. In accordance with the counters/kiosks available at these airports, the exact check-in timing or window is determined.
Given below are a few airports and Spirit Airlines Check in times for domestic and international fliers.
|Closing Time for Check-in Before Departure (International)
|Closing Time for Check-in before Departure (International)
|Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
|Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ)
|Mercedita International Airport (PSE)
|Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS)
|Charleston International Airport (CHS)
|Boise Airport (BOI)
|Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
|Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
Note: When travelling via other airports, obtain the check-in timing from the Spirit Airlines website.
Checking in on Spirit is important, in sync with every essential rule. The check-in policy unfolds these rules as well as some limitations. Keeping these in mind, passengers can confirm their presence for flights through online and offline procedures. By following the policy, they can save on unnecessary charges too.
FAQs on Spirit Airlines Check-in
How can I check in for my Spirit Airlines flight?
You can check in for your Spirit Airlines flight online through the official website or mobile app, at the airport kiosk, or at the airport ticket counter.
When can I check in for my Spirit flight online?
Online check-in is available starting 24 hours before your scheduled departure time.
What information do I need for online check-in?
Passengers will typically need a confirmation code, last name, and the departure city to check in online. This information is usually found on your booking confirmation.
Can I check in for my Spirit flight at the airport?
Yes, you can check in at the airport either at the self-service kiosk or at the ticket counter. Keep in mind that checking in at the airport may involve additional fees.
Is there a mobile app for Spirit Airlines check-in?
Yes, Spirit Airlines has a Mobile App that allows you to check in, view your boarding pass, and manage your reservation.
Are there any fees for checking in at the airport?
Yes, there may be additional fees for checking in at the airport, so it’s generally more cost-effective to check in online.
What should I do if I encounter issues during online check-in?
If you experience any issues during online check-in, you can contact Spirit Airlines customer support for assistance.